Sunday, January 21, 2007

Stuck in my head

Everyone gets music stuck in their heads. It's just something that happens - our neurons see something they really like, and boom, there it is. We are humming it, singing it, and playing it over and over in our heads. The great thing is that it could be an entire orchestra, just a singer, or maybe a single guitar solo of an epic song. There's no limit to what the mind can hold and play back later. For me, all last week it was the song "Welcome to Bucketheadland" by Buckethead. I could write an entire post just about Buckethead, but that's for another day.

What I'm getting at in this post is really something else: I get more than just songs stuck in my head. I get images, movies, people's names, or even just weird words I might hear off-hand. The weirdest one I think is someone's name. Last week, all week, it was Martin Dougiamas, who is the man that originally created Moodle. I'll admit, I dealt with Moodle last week at my job much more than usual, but why did this guy's name keep repeating over and over in my head? It would pop in my head everywhere - driving, sitting at the computer, riding my bike, cooking. Does this happen to anyone else, or am I just weird?

Sometimes it's a scene from a movie. Remember when Robin Williams goes to hell in the movie What Dreams May Come? There were a few scenes after I watched the film that kept repeating over and over in my head for days. The one where he's in the boat, surrounded by blackness, and all the people swam over to overturn him was especially big.

I guess sometimes our brains are in the sort of state where we just remember certain things better than others. The chemicals are just right, and the neurons are firing strong, just as we witness or think about a certain thing. That thing then sticks for a while, no matter what it might be. What was in your head last week?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey dude, I had a dream stuck in my head all last week. Like it kept repeating over and over.

It was this guy dying in front of me and then as he dies his skeleton rips free of his body and starts to chase me.

It was a horror to me and I generally average 1 or 2 nightmares a night. It was nutty dude.

------

You should check out my journal sometimes.

http://dontime.livejournal.com/

I've only been writing in it since before we started college. :p

Damon said...

Wow Don! That is one intense dream, and I can't even imagine having nightmares every night. I have one maybe once every three months, and even that is rough.

What do you think it means? I can't fathom where that one came from dude. Maybe you are telling yourself to watch your bones. Are you drinking your milk young man???

Don said...

bhhahahaha

Maybe that's what it is dude. It would definitely be a badass GOT MILK commercial.

Holy shit. XD