Thursday, January 11, 2007

Riding the Lines

A co-worker gave me a link to this game, which has an addiction factor of: very high. It is so fun. Check out the movies, some people have made some incredible rides. Youtube also has loads of videos.

It's amazing to me what you can make with something as basic as a bunch of lines and some simple physics simulations. I used to make drawings back in middle school that were like mazes, and you'd run through them exactly like Line Rider (mental note: scan those). There was a path you'd follow, and you'd have to choose between paths, avert spikes and lava pools, and even teleport to different places.

The News page on the site says that they are going to develop a console version - you watch, there will totally be spikes and lava pools.

2 comments:

Fire Sparks said...

I could not make the line rider game work. It was also larger than my screen.
Never mind. Have you experienced the corn field maze in Sunderland?

Driving through a city, or anyplace actually, is like being a line rider. The maze is reconstructed in our brains. We make decisions about how to get somewhere, what streets to take, where to turn based on an internally recollected maze.

Damon said...

You need the flash player to make the game work - it's free, and you can download it from www.adobe.com. As for larger than your screen, I'd say increase the resolution on your monitor.

I have not experienced the corn field maze in Sunderland, but I'm pretty sure I've heard of it. It sounds interesting, so perhaps this summer we'll check it out.

You're right about driving being like riding the lines. Cars are like blood cells following the pathways of our arteries! What I need to try sometime is off-roading! The people who do it seem to really love it - you can tell by the amount of mud on their truck. I've gotta get my friend with the four wheel drive pickup to take me on a trip sometime. I don't know if he'd be willing to risk scratching it though :-)