Friday, April 27, 2007

Labyrinth

Well, after reading this article about making one's own game, I decided to start with something simple. It really does make sense to start with something small, since I indeed have zero experience in creating a game from scratch. What I decided is to make the game Labyrinth as a computer game. No, not the movie, but the old wooden board game with the marbles.

The possibilities are endless! I could have dynamically generated boards, holes and walls that move around, and add some other obstacles as well. A co-worker suggested I make it pinball-style, with bumpers and things to bounce the marble around, which would be great. I could have so many extra things - ramps, jumps, you name it!

It will be the perfect project to gain some experience with creating my own computer game. If I did it so that I made the boards in Blender, I'd learn to import them with some code into the game. I'll certainly need to put some realistic physics into it, so that the ball moves accordingly depending on how much you are tilting the board. It'll be good experience using the Bullet physics library. Graphics-wise I have free reign, so I'm going to make it look good.

And, I plan on adding a special feature for macbook owners :-)

No comments: