Thursday, April 26, 2007

Bioshock

Speaking of System Shock 2 it seems that its developer, Irrational Games, has begun work on a new game called Bioshock. It is being created "in the spirit of System Shock 2" and looks absolutely amazing. At last year's E3 conference, Bioshock garnered three Best of Show awards - no small feat I'd say!

I read an interview of a person involved with the creation of the game, and he said some interesting things about it. I was most surprised to hear that there would be no multiplayer mode: the game will be completely single-player and heavily story-based. They are certainly thinking outside the box in terms of first-person shooters with this one, and it will be a game that I plan on following closely! Like System Shock 2, there are superhuman power ups, an inventory, and even an overseer type entity watching your moves.

Omnivore certainly won't be as violent as Bioshock (just check out the videos... wow!), but I plan on my story being just as good and important to the game. I have a lot to figure out in terms of graphics quality, as Bioshock looks incredible. Of course, they are using the Unreal 3 engine, heavily modified (and I'm really interested to see the water effects they added), so they didn't start from scratch like I am. They also have 60 people working on the game and a budget in the millions of dollars, but I digress. I'll certainly be picking up Bioshock when it is released (they say Spring 2007, which is now, but you never know with these things...), and using it for ideas and inspiration. It is as close to the "kind" of game I am creating as can be.

It all just really gets me excited about my own game. I look forward to all that I will learn in creating my own game from scratch. Hey, if John Carmack can do it, so can I!

No comments: