Sunday, March 25, 2007

Omnivore

Well, after much deliberation I've decided to open up the story and some details about the video game I'm creating. I had to get past that urge inside me going, "IT'S MINE, MINE!" Part of it is my own desire to get this out there, part of it was a phenomenal talk by Brewster Kahle (chairman of The Internet Archive), and part was a conversation I had earlier today in which I came to the realization that in order for me to actually finish this, I need the help of those around me.

And those people, well, they are YOU.

The name of the game is Omnivore. The year is 2049. The human race has advanced far from its current level - the Internet is available on 99.9% of the Earth's surface via wireless connections. Medical technology has increased a person's average lifespan to 120 years. We have a base on the moon, and astronauts have been to Mars and back. Oil and gasoline are a thing of the past, all cars are electric, and we power everything with clean energy. Robots do all jobs involving mass-production, and they (nearly) have taken over all custodial work.

Arthur Burns is a security guard in the most advanced lab in the world, located under two miles of ice at the South Pole. The Ayanami Lab was built to study the waters of Lake Cassia, a treasure trove of plants and animals that have evolved separately from the rest of the planet for millions of years. There are little white crustaceans with no eyes, bio-luminescent fish, and plants that grow only using chemicals in the water. The possibilities for study are endless.

It turns out that the study of the lake is only the beginning for the lab, known as the Icebox. Gary Rima heads the research known as the Omnivore Project, the experiments of which promise to change the course of human history forever.

More to come!

1 comment:

cmoore said...

That's awesome! I can't wait to hear/see more. :)