Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Pale Blue Dot

Carl Sagan, a person whom I believe was a true genius of our time, wrote a bit of text called "Reflections on a Mote of Dust." Someone put together a great video with that text and posted it to YouTube, which you can see here. I recommend it to everyone, and in fact I think the more people that see it the better! The actual text can be read here.

It really made me think about the world in a different sort of way. We are all so connected! It truly baffles me how much hatred and oppression exists when you realize that this is our one home in the entire, vast, expansive universe.

I like to be optimistic and say that it really looks like we are starting to head in the right direction. Maybe it's just because I live in an exceptionally liberal town, but people seem to be caring more and more about what our leaders are doing, and they see that change is needed. The environment around us, rational thought, and diplomacy appear to finally be inching their way into the minds of a growing number of people on this planet, and that is a Very Good Thing.

To quote a bumper sticker: "make coffee, not war." Fair trade coffee would be nice :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.